You’re getting ready for a big event and you realize you don’t have the undergarments that will make you look even better in your dress. When put in this tough situation, thousands of women turn to Spanx. SPANX is a company that sells slimming intimates, body shapers, hosiery and much more, all meant to make your silhouette look slender and sleek.
The founder of Spanx, Sara Blakely, was getting ready for a party when she herself had the same dilemma listed above, so she took scissors to a pair of pantyhose and an empire was born. Blakely founded Spanx in 1998 with the greater mission to help empower and elevate women. The apparel focuses on those problem areas that women have and tucks it away, therefore making women feel more confident in their clothing. From leggings, to undergarments, to tops, Spanx has it all and is stretching across not only the United States, but more than 50 countries as well.
Sara Blakely was one of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People and was also named the world’s youngest self-made female billionaire by Forbes Magazine in 2012. Not only is she breaking bounds as a business woman, she also believes it is her calling to support women. Blakely says, “I pledge to invest in women because I believe it offers one of the greatest returns on investment”. Philanthropy is a key part of the Spanx culture. Blakely set up a few different boards made up of employees, each allocated with a portion of the company’s profits for them to distribute to philanthropies they deem fit. A few of those philanthropies include:
- Kode with Klossy, empowering girls to code and become tech leaders through summer camp.
- Center for Civic Innovation, financially supporting 10 female entrepreneurs and providing them with business training.
- Grameen America, financially supporting more than 100,000 low-income women entrepreneurs through microloans and asset building services.
- Leg UP, shining light on leading ladies and giving them the exposure they deserve
- The Malala Fund, through donation the company supports this organization that is working for a world where all girls can learn and lead without fear.
- PowHERful Foundation, focused on getting women to, and through, college.
The list goes on and on of organizations that Spanx supports. Blakely ultimately wants to empower women so that they can soar, and her consumers notice this. Her individual Instagram is filled with posts that are meant to motivate all those who follow her to put their best foot forward and chase after their dreams. The Spanx Instagram, with almost 90K followers, is focused releasing content about how their products boost the confidence of women which appeals to all female buyers.
SPANX strives to make every woman feel more confident for not only their big events, but in everyday life as well, all while focusing on investing in women around the globe. Sara Blakely is committed to making a world a better place, one butt at a time, which makes her an empowering woman.