Celebrity Endorsed Politics

• 6

Celebrity Endorsed Politics

Tags :

As we all know, today is election day and it is crucial that all American citizens get to the polls and make sure their voice is heard. Over the past couple of months leading up to the elections, I have noticed a large number of celebrities endorsing political candidates via social media channels.

We know that influencer marketing is extremely effective. When you have a celebrity with a large number of followers backing your brand, people will listen. When it comes to politics, I think it’s awesome to see celebrities speaking up and encouraging people to vote. It shows that we are all united as Americans with the same rights, regardless of whether we are famous or not.

However, I’m not so sure I think celebrities should use their platform to endorse a specific candidate or bill. They are obviously free to say whatever they want on social media, but I believe it influences people to vote how Taylor Swift told them to rather than doing research and making individual opinions. (Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Swiftie and I love what she’s doing on social media right now.)

Below are screen grabs of Taylor Swift’s Instagram posts regarding the elections. She posted on her page about endorsing a certain candidate in her home state of Tennessee and explained why she was not voting for the opposing candidate. She then encouraged people to get out and vote, specifically for the candidate she endorsed. She has also been posting Instagram stories of her fans and other celebrities that tag her in their voting photos, which I believe is a great way to connect with people and show that she is no different from her fans.

Like I said, I’ll always be a Swiftie regardless of what she believes or how she uses her platform. I believe there are both pros and cons of celebrities encouraging their followers to vote. I’m just curious how this will impact elections and individuals’ opinions on issues in our country. What are your thoughts?

About Author

Jade Hulsey

Jade Hulsey

I am a senior Digital Marketing student at UGA. While I grew up in a rural town in northwest Georgia, my family moved to Fort Walton Beach, Florida over the summer so I now call the beach home. I'm very involved on campus in Delta Zeta, Pi Sigma Epsilon, UGA Wishmakers on Campus, and UGA Rescue Paws. In my free time, I enjoy relaxing and exploring Athens. I hope to find a career opportunity in Atlanta after graduation.

6 Comments

Savannah Watson

Savannah Watson

November 6, 2018at 1:10 pm

I think that a celebrity being transparent about their views is a very bold move, especially considering it could cause them to lose a percentage of their followers. I think the voicing of celebrities’ opinions urges the public to care more and it will ultimately bring more people to the polls–which is a good thing. Overall, I would say it is risky for them but very beneficial to the public. The exposure to this type of message will lead many to research more and I think it is ultimately a good thing.

Jade Hulsey

Jade Hulsey

November 6, 2018at 2:20 pm

Very good point! I agree with you that overall it encourages people to get out and vote, which is definitely a good thing!

Rachel VanOrder

Rachel VanOrder

November 6, 2018at 1:21 pm

I think it is incredible that people in positions of influence are using their power and status to encourage people to exercise their right to vote. However, I think it could be construed as manipulative and/or unfair for celebrities with younger audiences looking up to them to endorse a specific candidate without offering alternative viewpoints or encouraging individuals to do their own research first. If people blindly vote based off of what someone else tells them rather than doing their own research into the different candidates, laws, and amendments being proposed, our future could become quite scary. If people in positions of power and influence are able to determine how people vote, this could lead our country to become more of an oligarchy than a democracy. Don’t let people with power and money tell you what to do. Yes, it’s great they are supportive and encouraging about exercising our right to have a voice in the way our country is run, but we need to be smart citizens who have done the research into what is going on instead of listening to the potentially biased way that the media and celebrities are presenting information to us. That said – RESEARCH FIRST and then GO VOTE!

Jade Hulsey

Jade Hulsey

November 6, 2018at 2:18 pm

Thanks for commenting, couldn’t have said it better myself!

Lesly Servin

Lesly Servin

November 6, 2018at 1:51 pm

Like you stated in your blog post, celebrities are free to say whatever they want, freedom of speech is a basic human right and just because these people are famous, it does not make them any less human. With that being said, whether or not a person wants their political views to be known or they want to publicly endorse a candidate is entirely their choice. Yes, celebrities have a large following and great influence and we may not agree with what they have to say, but it is their right to speak freely. I understand that there are people that follow celebrities blindly but those people are typically not within the age to vote. Yes, celebrities can have some influence over a person but at the end of the day, it is that individual person’s decision. I’d like to believe that 18+-year-olds know to go out, get informed, and form their own opinions. I read Taylor Swift’s post and she was encouraging people to vote, and she was publicly endorsing candidates, but she never told her fans to vote for a specific person, however, she did urge them to educate themselves; she stated “please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values.” Another example is how Kanye West publicly endorses Trump. I know there are a lot of young people that enjoy Kanye’s music and continue to enjoy it after he publicly came out in support of Trump, but they do not share the same views as him. People form their own opinions, I do not agree with the things that some celebrities say, but just because I don’t like it, it does not mean they can’t express themselves. I think it is our job to encourage others (the younger generations) to educate themselves and form their own opinions.

Jade Hulsey

Jade Hulsey

November 6, 2018at 2:17 pm

I agree completely! I did not write this to have an opinion on Taylor’s social media campaigning (or anyone else’s). I used Taylor as the example because I love her and always have. I admire her finally speaking out about her opinions and I love how she is connecting with fans by reposting their content. I just wanted to hear other people’s thoughts about how these celebrities could impact the opinions of individuals. I think it’s crazy how social media has become so influential in all parts of our behavior and thinking, both positively and negatively.