One of the lesser known coffee places in Athens, Sips Espresso Cafe is located on Prince Avenue. It’s regular customers benefit from long open hours (6am to 9pm) and its location outside of downtown which boasts free parking. Sips has been a part of the Athens for more than five years and hosts a hip and trendy atmosphere which matches the vibe of other Normaltown restaurants nearby.
Digital Marketing Breakdown
Facebook: SIPS Espresso Cafe
- Rated 4.9 out of 5 based on 47 reviews
- 613 likes
- Posts about 5 times a month
- Posts feature coffee and food offerings and special holiday posts
- Average less than 10 engagements per posts
- 245 posts
- 981 followers
- bio states: “Come see us for great locally roasted coffee, espresso drinks, teas and baked goods!”
- Posts the same content as on Facebook with a few additions
- Posts receive more engagement, about 30-80 likes per post
- Use story highlights on profile, but do not segment highlights by any specific category
Digital Marketing Ranking: Digital Novice
Sips Espresso Cafe seems to be popular among Athens locals, however it is not doing a great job with its digital marketing. While they do have a presence on social media through their Instagram and Twitter, the company does not have a website. This is a big mistake because it leaves users without an online landing page. In order to begin moving through the digital marketing evolution it needs to provide online browsers with a digital presence. Once a website is established, Sips would then be able to move towards publishing through a blog. By offering timely publications, the coffee shop could cultivate a more loyal following as well as intrigue online searchers who stumble across the site. Once these two things have been done I recommend furthering their social media presence by allocating a small monthly advertising budget and utilizing the Ads Manager feature on Facebook where they already have an established presence.
- Hire a web designer to put together a professional website
- Segment the website into sections: Home, About, Menu, Blog
- Include professional photos of the cafe, products, or employees
- Establish a regular posting schedule for content
- Begin with an introductory series on the owners, employees, and vision behind Sips
- Later introduce a couple different blog series like “What’s in Season?” which might highlight special seasonal product offerings or a “Sips Serves” series which might showcase employees volunteering together in the local community (generates good word-of-mouth advertising).
- Establish a more regular posting schedule
- Try to create a mix of content
- Begin using Facebook Ads Manager to start sponsoring posts and ads targeted towards new customers within the target audience
- Read and respond to reviews/claim business on review sites like Yelp and Google Business
- Try out promotions on discount apps like Hooked
Overall, Sips’ has a lot of room for improving its digital marketing strategy. However, despite not having a website, the coffee cafe seems to be doing well for itself since it has stayed in business in Athens for more than five years. I think investing in paid advertising on Facebook or even beginning to bid for keywords on Google Adwords and increasing its presence among search results would greatly benefit the cafe’s return on investment.