Moe’s Attempting a Brand Makeover

• 8

Moe’s Attempting a Brand Makeover

So it looks like Moe’s is trying to move away from its tradition Tex Mex platform to a more unique “southwest street-food” theme.

It was interesting because it was just last week when I went back to my hometown of Kennesaw, GA to vote that I passed this new restaurant that said “coming soon.” It took me a few seconds to realize it was Moe’s, just with a new look and logo. Upon this realization I googled their logo change and came across their entire brand makeover strategy featuring this one “Oasis” restaurant in Kennesaw (pic to the left).

Moe’s has decided it does not “want to be a burrito shop anymore,” but instead is looking to expand into the street taco department. Customers will still be able to customize their tacos, but this will move Moe’s into more of a niche market again. Such items like: original or blue corn tortillas with crunchy avocado, diced onions, lime and chipotle ranch dressing will just be some of the featured menu options. They also plan on creating a new salsa bar called “Land of the Free” that emphasizing their famous free ships and salsa policy while offering a much larger variety of salsa and topping to choose from. Their president Bruce Schroder claims, “We weren’t getting credit for freshness. so we did want to amplify that.”

Between their new restaurant designs (interior and exterior) and solid menu changes, Moe’s is looking to draw a strong bit of attention to their restaurant chain in the next upcoming months. It will be interesting to see how The Oasis in Kennesaw performs and when they will be looking to expand this concept nationwide. Everyone loves some free chips and salsa and some awesome southwestern charm.

8 Comments

Kelly Hogan

Kelly Hogan

November 12, 2018at 1:15 pm

I did my paper for this class on Moe’s VS Chipotle, and i definitely think Moe’s is going in the right direction. Everyone wants fresh food and nicer food items to be emphasized. Chipotle has done a better job at emphasizing freshness and healthiness, so Moe’s needs this change to stay competitive.

Alex Krause

Alex Krause

November 12, 2018at 2:12 pm

Great blog and topic! I think that Moe’s brand makeover attempt is a good strategy. Right now, at least in my eyes, they’re perceived as a lower quality alternative to Chipotle. Perhaps changing their brand image and differentiating their product offerings from Chipotle will attract new customers.

Luke Miltner

Luke Miltner

November 12, 2018at 3:34 pm

This is an incredibly interesting and somewhat shocking choice to me, as Moe’s seems to have built some pretty strong brand recognition and loyalty up to this point. I don’t know any of their exact numbers or anything so maybe this is the spice they needed to tap into some more success, but it seems interesting for such a strong brand to change things up the way they are. As a long time Moe’s fan though, I’m excited for these new menu items, I just hope that other people are too, and their change doesn’t negatively impact their recognition.

Reagan Durham

Reagan Durham

November 12, 2018at 4:08 pm

Wow! Honestly, Moe’s was the last place that I thought needed rebranding. It is one of my favorite places to eat over Barberitos, Willy’s, and Chipotle. (I know against popular opinion) This sounds like an awesome opportunity for Moe’s and opens a lot of doors for them in the future. I hope this makes my friends and family want to pick Moe’s next time we have a craving for a flavor of Mexican food rather than one of the other food chains.

Peyton Avon

Peyton Avon

November 12, 2018at 4:42 pm

I had no idea that Moe’s was doing this, but I think it’s a great idea to grab people’s attention. I like the new logo and change in style of food that they plan on doing. I think it will also give them a leg up in the mexican food segment of the industry. To me, “Street Style” food sounds fancier than just your average fast food mexican chain. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for the local Moe’s stores’ new logos.

Alexa Chesser

Alexa Chesser

November 12, 2018at 4:59 pm

I also think it will be interesting to see how the oasis will do when it opens. After looking at the new menu items and new logo, I am very excited to visit and try it out once the restaurant opens. I think this is a great decision for Moe’s as it will provide them with greater distinction from other restaurants in the market, bring in new customers and definitely generate buzz for the brand.

Brooke Ralys

Brooke Ralys

November 12, 2018at 8:39 pm

Wow, this is so surprising to me! I always assumed their old brand was working for them but I guess it must have been time for a change. I am curious to see how this brand refresh does as well, especially because I am a fan of the food the way it is now!

Olivia Grimm

Olivia Grimm

November 12, 2018at 11:52 pm

I’m from St. Louis, MO and for some reason Moe’s isn’t as big of a commodity up there as it is here in GA. I know there’s always heated debates about whether Moe’s or Willy’s is better and then sometimes people bring Chipotle into the mix. To be honest, in my opinion Chipotle is the best and for some reason I don’t even consider it to be along the same caliber as the other two. But, I must say I’m extremely intrigues by this move of Moe’s and I really am curious to see how their new menu tastes. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more of these stores in the future and I’m excited to see if I can finally compare it to Chipotle.