Coca-Cola Wiped Its Social Media Accounts

• 6

Coca-Cola Wiped Its Social Media Accounts

Over the weekend, Coca-Cola wiped their social accounts. Today, November 13th, is World Kindness Day and Coca-Cola is re-launching its accounts as a part of their repositioning strategy. They are trying to have a more unified, cohesive voice for their accounts, as well as add some optimism to the social conversation.

Coca-Cola will be posting 99 times today on Instagram! Which is the most they can post before the account is deemed as spam. They will also be posting heavily on Facebook and Twitter. The goal of this is to flood people’s feeds with positivity.

Will they could only archive and truly hide posts on Instagram, they created some blank posts on FB and Twitter to make them look wiped. They will only be bringing back 50% of the content on Instagram, as the rest did not fit with the repositioning strategy.

Coca-Cola has a “Social Center” that runs the social accounts for 10 of Coke’s largest brands in North America. They are responsible for the total relaunch. They said they were proud of the content they had posted in the past, but they feel it was inconsistent. So, they want to change that, while simultaneously adding some happiness to people’s lives.

6 Comments

William Salisbury

William Salisbury

November 13, 2018at 10:08 am

Wow I’ve never heard of such a multinational corporation doing this especially on a day like today! I hope that this affects their brand positively; but it could backfire, and I wonder if this will positively affect its market share.

Haley Naylor

Haley Naylor

November 13, 2018at 10:57 am

Honestly, this is a pretty bold move. Whenever a company deletes all their old content it almost makes me nervous. I also wonder if the 99 posts will be effective or annoying. I’ll definitely be checking it out though to see what’s going on.

Sophie Turcotte

Sophie Turcotte

November 13, 2018at 12:33 pm

This is crazy interesting to me. I also did not know you could only post 99 times before being deemed as spam on Instagram. For Coke, I think this is a great strategy that fits their brand well (“Open Happiness”). I will definitely have to go back and check in on how this campaign works for them.

Courtney Cunningham

Courtney Cunningham

November 13, 2018at 12:47 pm

Coca Cola has a reputation of being family-friendly and focusing on happiness, so this move is not surprising. I think they do a great job of staying relevant and conducting campaigns that are centered around consumers and social issues rather than just their product.

Cedrick Haney

Cedrick Haney

November 13, 2018at 1:37 pm

I think it’s cool that Coke wiped their social media accounts to kind of start over. I think this new strategy will work well for them and may even help the company build an even bigger following. It’s great to use their influence to spread positivity. I hope other companies will follow suit with this. The only downside i see would be over posting, like 99 posts seem excessive.

Meng Zou

Meng Zou

November 13, 2018at 2:37 pm

I think this is very interesting. I wonder how different their media/branding/posts will be in comparison to what they used to be back in the day. I also wonder what initiated this clearing too.